- 1 Whole goose (8 – 10 lbs.)
- 3 tablespoons mixed cracked black, white and green peppercorns
- 1⁄2 cup Mollie’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
A truly elegant main course to your festive feast.
To Prepare the Glaze: Stir together the cracked peppercorns, thyme leaves, olive oil and garlic in a small bowl and season with salt.
To Prepare the Goose: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Season the outside and inner cavity of the goose with salt and pepper. Brush the glaze all over the outside of the goose, reserving any extra to use while roasting. Place the onions, carrots, and celery in a roasting pan and place the goose on top of the vegetables. Roast for 2 to 2 1⁄2 hours, basting occasionally with the remaining peppercorn mixture and any drippings, until golden brown and crispy and the juice from the cavity runs clear. Remove the goose from the oven, let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
To Prepare the Sauce: Strain the pan dripping through a fine mesh sieve. Skim off the grease, leaving the meat juices, and place in a small saucepan. Whisk the butter into the meat juices, add the chopped thyme, and season with salt and pepper.
Carve the goose and serve with the pan sauce.
Barolo Docg Del Comune Di Serralunga D’alba
This wine, with its intense ruby color with garnet reflections has a complex notes of overripe fruit and spices.
The finish is long and provides an expression of sour cherry, with a sweet and minty nose.